There are many reasons why men can lose their sex drive and simple factors like tiredness, stress, depression, certain medications (antidepressants and hypertensive drugs), excessive alcohol consumption, illicit drug taking, and low testosterone levels may all play a part. Having a newborn can also put the breaks on your sex drive for a while due, primarily, to lack of sleep.
Extravagant medicinal techniques and psychological therapies to boost your sex life is a thing of the past. Did you know that what you eat can also affect your desire for sex.
Here are some foods known as aphrodisiac foods that will increase your libido and and get back in the mood with your partner, as recommended by experts:
- ChocolatesChocolates have long since been a symbol of romance and passion. It is said that women produce almost four times more endorphins after eating chocolates than they do after a passionate foreplay.Chocolate contains phenylethylamine, a chemical compound that can produce feelings of euphoria and happiness by releasing dopamine, the neurotransmitter in the brain that surges during orgasms. A 2006 study also concluded that women who’ve consumed chocolate were more likely to have an increased libido than those who didn’t.
- Oranges:A sweet and seductive fruit, orange can be used as a good alternative to chocolates to entice and allure your partner for a passionate experience.
- BananasBananas highlight potassium, an essential mineral no one can live without. Not only is it crucial for keeping your brain, nerves, and heart, in tip-top shape, but it’s also required for excellent muscle health. And nutrition experts say strong muscles are important for more intense contractions during orgasms.
- AsparagusDid you know that in the 19th century, the prenuptial dinner for French bridegrooms included three servings of the juicy asparagus spears? Many people refer to these perennial plants as erotic asparagus primarily because of its ability to evoke a feeling of lust in both men and women.Asparagus is a great source of potassium, fiber and vitamins like A, C, Thiamine and Folic Acid. The latter is said to boost the production of histamine in the body which is necessary for reaching orgasm in both sexes.
- EggsWhen was the last time you were able to enjoy an unhurried and “stress free” time with your partner? With our regular routine work life and mundane worries, we often don’t find the time and zeal to spice our sex life and be better lovers. This is where Vitamin B5 and Vitamin B6 present in eggs come into play. Both of them being stress-reducers, helps in increasing our sex drive besides supporting our overall health and fitness.
- WatermelonIf you are hoping for some fireworks in your sex life, start eating multiple servings of watermelon every day. Considered as a natural Viagra, watermelons are a rich source of an amino acid called citrulline which helps in blood vessel dilation. Thus, it can be used as a natural treatment for erectile dysfunctions (ED)."Watermelon has the potential to increase libido due to an amino acid called citrulline," says professional health coach Lori L. Shemek. “Citrulline helps to dilate blood vessels similarly to Viagra used to treat erectile dysfunction.”A 2008 article published by AgriLife Research maintains that when watermelon is consumed, citrulline is converted to arginine, an amino acid that impacts the circulation system. "The citrulline-arginine relationship helps heart health, the immune system, and may prove to be very helpful for those who suffer from obesity and type 2 diabetes," says Dr. Bhimu Patil, director of Texas A&M’s Fruit and Vegetable Improvement Center. "Arginine boosts nitric oxide, which relaxes blood vessels, the same basic effect that Viagra has, to treat erectile dysfunction and maybe even prevent it."
- SaffronIf you are looking for instant effects, be sure to add adequate quantities of saffron to your diet. Consumption of saffron has been shown to boost sexual desire as per recent studies conducted on benefits of natural aphrodisiacs. They are produced from dried stigmas of a flower called Crocus sativus and are often used in regular Indian, Italian and Spanish cuisine.
- CinnamonThis sweet, warm, and comforting spice can be a key ingredient in adding some much-needed zest to your sex life.JJ Virgin, nutritionist and author of “The Virgin Diet Cookbook,” points to a 2009 study, which reveals cinnamon has the potential to reduce blood glucose levels. “Steady blood sugar equals sustained energy without spikes and crashes that can kill your mood in the bedroom,” she says.
- GarlicGarlic’s aphrodisiac properties have been known for a long time as it helps to enhance sex drive, libido and sexual function in both men and women. This is primarily due to the presence of high levels of a compound called allicin that increase blood flow to the sexual organs – Agencies
- SpinachThis dark leafy green is loaded with folate, a water-soluble B vitamin that serves to help the body form red blood cells. But when it comes to the bedroom, spinach can provide a much-needed energetic boost.New York City-based nutritionist Cindy Moustafa says, "Foods rich in folate are perfect for improved circulation, and if you don’t eat enough folate-rich foods, irritability and fatigue can be side effects, which is not going to help you in the sex department. Make folic-rich foods, like spinach, a part of your daily diet."
- BasilAccording to Nikki Sharp, author of "Five Day Detox", Basil has anti-inflammatory properties, which help to reduce swelling in the body, making blood flow easier to all body parts, including those sexual organs we want to excite. It has also been known to promote sexual desire in men just by smelling it. It increases blood flow and heart rate. While Sharp recommends adding basil to smoothies, water, soups, or salads, we think the occasional mouthwatering slice could just as easily drive anyone wild.
- OystersThere’s a reason why oysters have always been considered an aphrodisiac. Apparently, this seafood has more zinc than any other food (76.7 mg in 6 medium oysters).According to a 1996 study, the essential mineral is key not just for overall good health, but for potentially boosting testosterone levels in men.
- Cayenne PepperConsider trading in the black lingerie for red hot cayenne pepper instead. Grown throughout South America, this steamy spice contains the active ingredient capsaicin, which is proven to increase heart rate, metabolism, blood flow, and sweat, similar to sex.While eating too much cayenne pepper is life-threatening, a little powder in your dish will easily raise temperatures.
- VanillaThe Smell & Taste Treatment and Research Foundation in Chicago also maintains that vanilla is one of the most arousing scents to older men, in particular.
- Pumpkin and sunflower seedsSnacking on these nutritious seeds will help boost your zinc levels. Zinc is one of the most important minerals needed to improve sperm health and quantity and boost testosterone levels. Seeds also contain healthy fats that are vital for sexual health. Add a handful to breakfast cereals, salads or to a trail mix.
- MacaThis Peruvan superfood is considered ‘nature’s Viagra’ as it is a renowned aphrodisiac, improving sex drive and sexual performance. Maca is also rich in B vitamins, to help boost energy levels, and relieve stress. Add a spoonful to smoothies, soups or breakfast cereals.
- MeatBeef and pork contains high levels of L-Carnitine, an amino acid that can help boost libido, sexual function and testosterone levels in older men. L-carnitine also helps improve energy levels by increasing the burning of triglycerides as fuel in the body.
- Raw nutsSnacking on raw nuts can help bring a spark back to your bedroom. Nuts such as almonds, cashews, Brazil and hazelnuts are rich in the amino acids L-Arginine, which boosts the production of nitric acid in the body, this will increase the production of sex hormones, and promote a firmer erection and better sexual performance. Nuts are also an excellent source of essential fatty acids, which are healthy fats needed for male sexual health. Add some mixed crushed nuts to muesli or salads, or add to smoothies.
- CeleryIncluding more celery in your diet can also bring a spark back to your sex life. Eating celery can increase the pheromone androsterone, which is a natural aphrodisiac found in male perspiration. Celery also contains chemicals that can help dilate blood vessels, increase sex drive, and enhance climax. Try a vegie juice with celery, or snacking on this sex boosting vegie with hummus or almond butter.
Source: Fox News | Health meup | body+soul Man